Join an organization where you can make a difference in the lives of students from across the nation and the world. At The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars (TWC), we see a world where young people from all backgrounds have the opportunity to discover, develop and realize their full potential. TWC is the bridge between higher education and professional careers–leveraging all that Washington D.C. has to offer to provide dynamic, experiential learning opportunities to empower and motivate young people to become engaged global citizens.
The Director of the Office of Internship Site Relations is a key leader at The Washington Center who is responsible for ensuring a quality pre-arrival experience and successful placement process for all accepted interns. The director will work with key internal stakeholders to develop strategies for retaining students and improving internship experiences. The director will drive our business development efforts to create new program partnerships and expand our presence in the Washington DC Metro area as the premier organization for internships. The director will use data to make improvements to the pre-arrival experience and to enhance the placement operations. The director will be a key leader within the organization driving quality internships as a component of the student’s TWC experience. The individual will working closely with our directors of our signature programs and customized initiatives.
- Pre-Arrival Experiences and Advising
- Lead Pre-Arrival cross-functional group with the aim of enhancing process efficiency and positive student experience in the pre-arrival and to ensure a successful transition into the start of each program.
- Responsible for improving and documenting the pre-arrival and placement operation, utilizing best practices, and engage in monitoring and evaluating department procedures, policies, and practices.
- Collaborate with several teams/departments and leaders including Enrollment Services, Student Services and Community Life, Student Recruitment, College and University Relations, Customized Programs, and the Academic Internship Program.
- Work with staff from recruitment, enrollment, and financial aid to develop retention strategies for accepted students.
- Drive efficiency and quality in the process of matching students with internship sites
- Program Partnership and Business Development
- Oversee all current program partners who serve as internship hosts.
- Lead assessment efforts to improve quality of internship experiences for all program participants.
- Develop initiatives for stewardship of current partners and work with key program staff to expand opportunities for engagement with TWC.
- Prospect and develop new program partnerships with organizations in the Washington, DC area to serve as internship hosts and partners within our programs.
- Provide data-driven recommendations about internship site opportunities to assist the organization in focusing recruitment efforts to meet its enrollment goals.
- Staff Management and Development
- Supervise two managers as well as a lead a team of internship advisors and site coordinators who are responsible for the pre-arrival experience and placement process for all TWC interns.
- Meet regularly with direct reports to provide ongoing feedback and review of personal/professional goals.
- Oversee training and development of all OISR staff both as a team and as individuals.
- Other Responsibilities
- Oversee the daily management and operations of the department including but not limited to budget and CRM system.
- Serve on various TWC committees, working groups, and councils when necessary or when asked by the senior director.
- Work closely with Operational Effectiveness on developing assessments and evaluations for the various functions of OISR.
- Take on additional duties on behalf of the senior director as needed.
- Student Recruitment
- Recruit at an average of three schools to share TWC’s message in the fall and spring semesters.
Education and Experience
- Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Experience with managing and leading a high-functioning team required.
- 5-7 years of experience in working with college students, career services, employer relations, and business development.
- Experience supervising a team of professional staff members.
- Preferred Education/Qualifications and Experience:
- CRM and data management experience is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge of experiential learning.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities which are critical to the successful performance of the job.These may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with the position:
- Strong knowledge of higher education field and landscape
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work collaboratively
- Easily adaptable
- Proven ability to articulate organizational objectives and development goals
- Independent judgment and initiative
- Competencies required to perform the job successfully:
- Leads/develops/empowers people, develops relationships, inspires trust
- Effectively executes organizational priorities
- Cross-functional Capacity
- Strategic Operational Thinking
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Change Management
- Customer Satisfaction
This position directly supervises 2 Managers and indirectly supervises a team of 7-8 staff.
Equipment Used to Perform the Job
Which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Standard office equipment including a facsimile machine, photocopier, and telephone system.
- Personal Computer, job-related software and printer.
These are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform described essential functions of this job. These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
To apply to this position, please do so via our online application form.
This job description no way states or implies that these are the only duties preformed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subjected to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.