Women's Empowerment in the 21st Century Seminar
Empowering Sonoran women to improve their communities.
Empowering women is key to building a better life for the people of Sonora. Be among 100 women who, like you, are committed to building lives and careers that will make an impact on their communities.
In partnership with the government of the State of Sonora, Mexico, this seminar in Washington, D.C. is designed to give the next generation of strong Sonoran women, regardless of their background, a competitive advantage with skills for community engagement and success in the professional workplace.
This is a highly selective program. To be eligible to participate, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a female resident of the State of Sonora, Mexico.
- Be between 21 and 65 years of age.
- Have demonstrated a desire and commitment to help others and make a difference in your community.
During this one-week intensive training program, you'll participate in individual assessments, professional development and team building activities. You'll also work in teams to create a social impact project proposal. By the end of the week, you'll be equipped with the knowledge to help empower others in your community and with a strong network to help you achieve your goals.
Upon your return to Sonora, you'll join the Sonoran Women’s Alliance Group (SWAG) for ongoing learning and support back at home.
This is a fully funded seminar sponsored by the State of Sonora, Mexico. Sponsorship covers the seminar and housing fee, airfare to and from Washington D.C. to Sonora, Mexico and meals.
Housing and Living
During this seminar, you'll be living in NoMa, one of the coolest and 'most connected' neighborhoods in Washington, D.C. You'll be in the middle of it all with easy access wherever you need to go.
Most participants share a 2-bedroom/2-bath apartment with three other participants in our modern academic and residential building. We'll provide everything you need, most of what you'll want and even some perks you might not have expected.
Each apartment is fully furnished and includes:
- a full dining set (pots, pans, dishes, silverware, coffee maker and toaster)
- iron and ironing board
- vacuum cleaner
- mop and broom
- washer and dryer
- wi-fi and cable
What to Pack
As you are packing, please be aware that linens will be provided for seminar participants. The linen package includes a bath towel, hand towel, wash cloth, sheets, a blanket and pillow. If you tend to get cold at night, we encourage you to bring an extra blanket. Please be prepared to pack the following:
- personal toiletries
- government-issued ID card
- small folding umbrella
- business professional attire for academic sessions and site visits
- casual attire for evenings and weekends
- notebook and pens
- clothes hangers
We give you your space, but we don't leave you totally on your own. Our student services team and alumni mentors make sure you have the support you need, any time day or night. And our disability services staff ensures that every student has the tools they need to live comfortably, complete assignments and succeed in their work.
You are not eligible to receive academic credit for this seminar.
How to Apply
If you're not quite ready to apply, fill out a Request for Information and a member of TWC's staff will reach out to you.
Dates and Deadlines
The application deadlines for the 2018 seminar are not available yet. Please contact Sonora100@twc.edu if you would like to be notified when they become available.
The following seminar dates are tentative:
- Check-In: May 13, 2018
- Seminar Begins: May 14, 2018
- Seminar Ends: May 19, 2018
- Check-Out: May 20, 2018
You'll need to submit the following documents along with your application:
- One-page Letter of Intent (in Arial 12 pt, line spacing of 1.5 and margins of 2.5 centimeters): please state the reason you want to participate in the seminar, describing how you match the profile needed for participation and answering the question: "Why should I be the one selected and not another woman?"
- One-page Resumé (do not include a photograph)
- Two Letters of Recommendation (in Spanish)
- Copy of proof of address
- Copy of Mexican passport: valid until at least November 30, 2018
- Copy of Visa to travel to the United States: valid until at least November 30, 2018