Join an organization where you can make a difference in the lives of students from across the nation and the world. At The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars (TWC), we see a world where young people from all backgrounds have the opportunity to discover, develop and realize their full potential. TWC is the bridge between higher education and professional careers–leveraging all that Washington D.C. has to offer to provide dynamic, experiential learning opportunities to empower and motivate young people to become engaged global citizens.
The Washington Center is seeking a marketing and communications professional to develop and implement a global program for alumni engagement that supports the organization’s strategy and objectives. The Manager, Alumni Marketing and Communications will cultivate the alumni community, leading to impactful relationships within TWC. With an alumni base of 55,000 members, the Manager, Alumni Marketing and Communications will be responsible for conceptualizing, developing, managing and implementing TWC’s alumni outreach initiatives. Goals of these outreach efforts include showing TWC’s value to future alumni while they are still participating in one of our programs, expanding the number of alumni who are actively engaged with the organization, developing new ways in which alumni can engage with the organization and continuously updating our alumni records.
The ideal candidate will have a background in marketing and/or community building with an emphasis on stakeholder engagement and program building. This person understands that this role is the alumni advocate within the organization and has a passion for building relationships. They will be as comfortable engaging stakeholders/alumni both online and off. It is essential for the candidate to possess excellent communications skills (in particular, tailored alumni communications, online presence and social media), marketing and event planning experience.
- Work with TWC's Chief Marketing Officer to develop and execute an integrated marketing plan to establish or continue to build relationships with a wide range of alumni - locally, regionally, nationally and internationally - and maintain regular communication with them via direct contact, email, alumni web pages and social media communities.
- Manage and grow the dedicated alumni digital communities on Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Plan, coordinate and measure the success of programs and events designed to engage with TWC alumni, which can be tied to measurable goals or outcomes for the organization. This includes recurring annual events (Alumni Awards Breakfast, Alumni Holiday Party), meetings and networking events.
- Keep accurate and complete alumni database records; come up with new and innovative ways to capture and update contact, biographical and career information of alumni via surveys, email, projects (e.g. alumni directory), correspondence, online forms, etc.
- Educate students about alumni benefits and engage them in future alumni efforts while they are participating in our programs.
- Identify compelling alumni stories to promote through TWC’s social media channels, the TWCNow blog, main website and/or email communications.
- Partner with the recruitment, pre-arrival, program, and internship site teams to identify alumni who can be matched to volunteering opportunities within these areas to help advance the goals of the organization.
- Present regular progress reports and insights.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Minimum 3+ years in marketing, membership and/or community building experience required.
- Prior experience working in higher education marketing and/or membership marketing is a plus.
- Understanding that community management is a 24/7 role.
- Strong teambuilding skills and ability to engage productively with colleagues to achieve shared goals.
- Must have the ability and willingness to travel, including overnight on occasion and to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Must be a good listener, communicator, writer and influencer who can proactively follow projects through to completion and report qualitative/quantitative results.
- Superlative oral, written and relationship-building skills.
- Exceptional problem solver with an innovative approach to leveraging resources.
- Committed to customer service and must embrace a metrics-driven environment.
Equipment Used to Perform the Job
Which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Standard office equipment including a facsimile machine, photocopier, and telephone system.
- Personal Computer, job-related software and printer.
These are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform described essential functions of this job. These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 25lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
To apply to this position, please submit your resume and cover letter via our online application form.
This job description no way states or implies that these are the only duties preformed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subjected to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.