The safety and wellbeing of our students and partners is The Washington Center’s top priority.
We continue to closely monitor the guidance from the CDC and local authorities in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area regarding COVID-19 (the coronavirus) and its potential impact on our upcoming events and our academic seminar and internship programs.
Updates on TWC Programs and Events
This page was last updated on August 11, 2021
Information and guidelines regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) are rapidly evolving. We appreciate your support as we work through these changing conditions and continue to adjust our operations as the circumstances warrant.
Please refer to the tabs below for more information about the status of our programs.
Summer Academic Internship Program (June 2021 - August 2021)
TWC is planning to host students in Washington, D.C. for the Summer 2021 Academic Internship Program.
To ensure the safety of our community, we’ve made adjustments to our academic, programmatic and residential plans and policies. Learn more about these adjustments here.
While we look forward to hosting students in the nation’s capital, we also understand that some schools may issue alternative policies regarding in-person participation in internship programs this summer. To accommodate students from these schools, we will be offering a virtual option in addition to our Washington, D.C. experience. Learn more about this option here.
We are offering each university flexibility in determining which program option (virtual or Washington, D.C.) is appropriate for their students.
2021 Federal Internship Program Summer Term (May 2021 - August 2021)
Nearly all of the federal agencies The Washington Center works with have transitioned to remote internships due to COVID-19.
Learn more about the eligibility requirements, benefits, application deadlines and program dates for these opportunities:
- Federal Aviation Administration Minority Serving Institutions Intern Program
- Department of Transportation – Summer Transportation Internship Program for Diverse Groups (STIPDG)
- Department of Navy – Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) HBCU/MI Internship Program
- Federal Diversity Internship Initiative (includes multiple agencies)
Veterans Employment Trajectory Initiative Summer Term (June 2021 - August 2021)
The 2021 program will offer both a virtual and in-person option. Learn more about the program here.
Fall Academic Internship Program (August 2021 - December 2021)
TWC is planning to host students in Washington, D.C. for the Fall 2021 Academic Internship Program, but we also understand that some schools may issue alternative policies regarding in-person participation in internship programs during the public health emergency. To accommodate students from these schools, we've updated the Academic Internship Program to ensure students can participate from anywhere. Learn more about the program here.
One of the steps we’re taking to ensure the health and safety of the entire TWC community this fall is to require that students who participate in person receive the full COVID-19 vaccine prior to their arrival. Please review our vaccine policy and FAQs for the Fall semester.
Health and Safety Measures at our Residential and Academic Facility
The health and safety of the TWC community is our top priority at this time. In light of the public health emergency, TWC has revised its Emergency Response Plan with new procedures and policy changes for our Residential and Academic Facility:
- To maintain social distancing, students will be housed in a private bedroom and have a private bathroom, with a shared living area and kitchen. Students will be required to disinfect and clean their apartments each week, and TWC will conduct monthly inspections.
- Students will be required to wear a mask in all public spaces of the Residential and Academic Facility (RAF). We encourage students to bring a personal supply of reusable masks, but TWC will also maintain a supply of disposable masks if they lose or forget their face covering.
- Each resident will be allowed to host one external (non-TWC residential) guest at any given time. Guests are only allowed to stay for three consecutive nights in a seven-day period. If a resident would like to receive another visitor, they must wait at least one week from the day their last visitor checked out. Residents must email proof of their guest’s vaccination card to email@example.com (not on the Community Portal) at least 48 hours in advance of their guest’s arrival time.
- The fitness center at the RAF will be limited to four residents at any one time, while the computer lab will be limited to two. Masks will be required for use.
- The patio at the RAF will be limited to gatherings that adhere to Washington, D.C.’s current social distancing/gathering guidelines.
- The elevators at RAF will have a maximum capacity of two persons at any one time.
We continue to evaluate and update our policies as the situation evolves.