Department of Navy HBCU/MI Post-Doctoral Program
Conduct state-of-the-art scientific research with one of the Nation's leading multidisciplinary science and technology programs.
Work alongside world-renowned scientists and engineers in Washington, D.C./Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) to strengthen America's naval defense. Your research will focus on the advancement of science and technology for applications relevant to the Department of Defense (DoD), Department of Navy (DoN) and NRL mission specific areas. This two-year appointment, beginning in Summer 2020, provides an annual stipend, relocation costs, health benefits and a specified research project with clear objectives and goals.
Sponsored by the Department of the Navy and supported by The Washington Center, this immersive program will further develop your skill set for careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Many research projects have the potential to make a significant impact in the scientific and global community.
This is a highly selective program. To be eligible to participate, you must meet the following criteria:
- U.S. Citizens Only. Dual citizens (those holding citizenship with more than one country) are not eligible for the program.
- Recent graduate (within 2 years) of a Ph.D. program at a Historically Black College or University or Minority Institution.
- Advanced degree within the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines.
- Maintain a 3.0+ cumulative GPA.
- Be fluent in English (spoken and written).
During this two-year post-doctoral program, you will conduct research with specific target goals and objectives. Research projects span the full spectrum of STEM disciplines, allowing you to enhance your professional skills. To learn more about available research opportunities, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a fully funded post-doctoral program, sponsored by the Department of Navy. Sponsorship includes an annual salary of $77,000, along with select benefit packages and relocation costs up to $6,000.
Housing and Living
The U.S. Naval Research Laboratory does not provide housing while participating in this program. Suggestions for affordable housing within close proximity of the NRL can be provided upon request.
Dates and Deadlines
- Application Submission Period: The application period for the program beginning in Summer 2020 is now closed.
- Program Begins: Summer 2020
- Program Ends: Summer 2022
How to Apply
The application period for the program beginning in Summer 2020 is now closed. If you would like to learn more about this program and future application periods, please contact email@example.com.
You'll need to submit the following documents along with your application:
- Unofficial transcripts for all post-secondary institutions*
- Two Letters of Recommendation: preferably from recommenders who are familiar with your research or academic work
- Interest Statement: In approximately one or two double-spaced pages, describe your interest in laboratory research with the Department of Navy. Discuss what specific topics are of interest to you based on the topics provided by the application advisor. If you have not received topics please contact firstname.lastname@example.org first.
* Please note that official transcripts will be required if a candidate becomes a finalist. Finalists will also be asked to complete an interview.