Salary Range: $16.00 to $17.00, Hourly
The Communications and Marketing Intern will contribute to communication and design projects alongside other members of The Washington Center’s Communications and Marketing team. They will assist with administrative tasks as needed and may be asked to attend one or more events in D.C. for photo or social media coverage.
Although TWC is a majority remote organization, an intern based in Washington, D.C. is preferred. The individual in this role will be expected to work in-person as and when the need arises.
Date Range: The ideal timeline for this position is July – November 2022 (negotiable).
Time Commitment: The ideal time commitment for this position is 15-20 hours per week (negotiable).
Recruitment + Virtual Event Promotion
- Update landing pages, workflows and tracking links that support TWC’s campus visits and virtual events.
- Update Virtual Events webpage with general recruitment events and maintain as needed.
Social Media Management
- Write captions and create or update designs in Canva graphic design platform to be used on social media.
- Schedule social media posts based on content calendar.
- Assist with social media coverage of events as needed.
- Assist with monitoring social channels and activities.
Marketing + Communications
- Write clear, engaging copy for email campaigns and web pages as assigned.
- Confirm that all copy adheres to TWC’s Style Guide and/or AP Style.
- Create or update designs in Canva or LucidPress graphic design platforms.
- Build or update mass emails in Hubspot and/or Marketing Cloud.
Data + Administration
- Work with the Assistant Director, Communications and Marketing to evaluate email performance (e.g., click-through rate, conversions).
- Maintain inventory of promotion items and coordinate staff requests (this may include commuting to TWC’s Residential and Academic Facility).
- Place business card orders for staff members.
- Manage credit card report and invoice submission for various projects.
Required Education and Experience
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered:
- Strong interest in the marketing or communications field required
- Strong writing and editing ability, with a proven track record writing for external audiences
Preferred Education/Qualifications and Experience
- Student enrolled in a bachelor's degree program or recent graduate preferred
- Experience or interest in graphic design and/or social media preferred
- Experience with Asana or a similar project management system preferred
- Experience with Canva or a similar graphic design platform preferred
- Experience with Salesforce or a similar CRM system preferred
- Experience with HubSpot or a similar MAT system preferred
Competencies Required to Perform the Job Successfully
- Communication/Interpersonal Skills
- Customer Satisfaction
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Willingness to take on any and all projects with enthusiasm and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong desire to provide excellent customer service to all stakeholders
- Team-oriented approach to work, balanced with ability to work well independently
- Ability to work efficiently towards deadlines and in a fast-paced environment
- Ability and willingness to travel within Washington, DC
- Ability and willingness to work some evening events
The Washington Center’s Values
Values which guide our mission work in every regard – internally and externally:
- Equity & Inclusion
- Connection & Collaboration
Equipment Used to Perform the Job
May be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Cloud-based technologies
- Intern must have access to their own secure laptop computer and high-speed internet connection
Commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform described essential functions of this job. These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision to work on a computer.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
To apply to this position, please do so via our online application form.
This job description no way states or implies that these are the only duties performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subjected to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
The Washington Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of The Washington Center to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law. Provisions in applicable laws providing for bona fide occupational qualifications, business necessity or age limitations will be adhered to by the organization where appropriate.
The Washington Center stands in solidarity with all marginalized communities. We believe communities are strengthened by the inclusion of and equity for all people. Racism, hate, and violence have no place in our society, and we condemn all such acts. We are committed to becoming an anti-racist and anti-hate organization.
We commit to continuously striving for diversity, equity and inclusion through ongoing education and self-awareness. At The Washington Center, each person brings unique and varied experiences which inform our thoughts, actions, and decision-making processes. Our mission is to create an inclusive, safe environment for our staff and our students, where everyone’s differences are celebrated, every perspective is valued, and everyone feels safe to bring forth their authentic selves.