Campaign 2020: Becoming a Faculty Leader
The Presidential Election: From Textbook to Playbook
Today’s undergraduates are coming of age during the most turbulent era of American politics since the 1960s. They are just starting to understand how the federal government works at a time when its very foundations are being questioned.
You could teach them about all of this from a distance on your campus, or you could give them a chance to live it through The Washington Center. TWC has been leading academic seminars focused on politics for more than 30 years. TWC’s Campaign 2020 series is underway: Inside Washington 2020, the Republican and Democratic National Conventions, and Inauguration 2021.
Your students will learn about the United States’ political process from insiders, hearing from leaders on both sides of the aisle. During the national political conventions, they will also gain hands-on experience through work placements with convention committees, media outlets, and more. They will network with movers and shakers from across the political landscape, opening pathways for their postgraduate careers. And as a faculty leader, you will enjoy the same benefits — while also receiving financial support for your participation.
Do not miss this opportunity for you and your students to take an up-close look at American history.
Campaign 2020 Programs
National Conventions Seminars
Democratic National Convention: July 5-17, 2020
Republican National Convention: August 16-28, 2020
The national political conventions are signature events in the American political system, and the Convention 2020 seminars give you the opportunity to take in the spectacle live. During the seminar’s first week, you will explore the current state of the presidential campaign in an academic setting and facilitate learning through guest speakers, briefings, and discussions. During the second week, you will check in with your students as they complete fieldwork assignments related to the conventions. You will also have the opportunity to explore the convention in your own way. You will return to your campus in the fall with not only great stories and photographs to share with your students but also new insights about how parties select their nominee.
Inauguration 2021 Seminar
January 10-21, 2021
The Inauguration serves as a backdrop for this seminar that focuses on the machinations of political transition, the peaceful transfer of power, and the celebration of a new - or newly re-elected - president. You will join students for guest speakers and site visits and lead them in discussions focused on the aftermath of the election and its potential impact on American policy moving forward. This is a unique D.C. experience no matter which candidate takes the Oath of Office.
If you are interested in learning more about our Campaign 2020 Seminar Series, please fill out this form so we can connect with you.
Become a Faculty Leader
Lead your students through a transformational and once-in-a-lifetime experience by becoming a Faculty Leader. Faculty Leaders must commit to the following responsibilities during the seminar:
- Participate in all scheduled activities, including academic sessions and site visits
- Engage a group of six to 15 students in daily discussions
- Evaluate your students’ academic and professional performance, providing feedback throughout the program and a grade at the end
Some of the benefits include:
- Networking with faculty from other institutions
- Engaging with political insiders
- A faculty stipend equal to $200 per student in discussion group
- A faculty stipend of $300 for travel
- A private bedroom in a shared apartment in the heart of D.C. or at either of the national political conventions locations
Faculty leaders are selected based on the strength of their CV and demonstrated interest in experiential learning. We give preference to faculty members from institutions who send six or more students attending a given academic seminar.
Become a Faculty Leader
Contact us today to be considered for our Campaign 2020 academic seminars.
Costs for Students
|National Conventions Seminar (Republican or Democratic)||$4,295|
|Inauguration 2021 Seminar||$2,395|
Attendees who wish to participate in two programs can maximize their investment with our package deal. By purchasing a seat as part of our package you will be able to attend Convention 2020 and Inauguration 2021 at a discount over purchasing individually.
|National Conventions Seminar (Republican or Democratic)
+ Inauguration 2021
|Democratic National Convention Seminar
+ Republican National Convention Seminar
We offer two payment options for flexibility.
- School billing: Once a school has committed to pay for a specific number of students, TWC will invoice for the program cost of each student. A $200 non-refundable deposit per student is due one month after commitment. The remainder of the program cost is due 15 business days before the program check-in. Once the deposit payment has been received, voucher codes will be provided for the school to share with selected students and will allow those students to bypass the deposit page on the application. This payment option is best for schools that are integrating a seminar program into a course on campus, providing scholarship for students, or allowing students to use financial aid.
- Student direct billing: Unless a prior arrangement has been made with a school, students will be directly invoiced for the full program cost. When applying, students will pay a $500 non-refundable deposit. The remainder of the program fee will be due 30 business days before the program check-in. If a student has paid the deposit and is not able to attend the program, the $500 deposit can be applied to a future TWC program within the next two years.
We welcome a large delegation of students from your school. The more, the merrier. Schools that bring at least 25 students to the same program (in this case, the two national political convention programs are considered one program) are eligible for a group discount. Group discounts can be used in conjunction with the early bird discounted rate.
- Save $200 per student who attends the national political conventions
- Save $100 per student who attends either Inside Washington 2020 or Inauguration 2021
Refund and Cancellation Policy
To read the refund and cancellation policies for the Campaign 2020 programs, visit: